The Mayflash F300 and F500 are popular arcade fight sticks for use with various gaming platforms. While they share some similarities, there are also notable differences, particularly in modding.
n this ultimate guide, we’ll delve into the Mayflash F3000/F500 and its mods, transforming your arcade stick into a top-tier gaming device. Let’s get started!
- Smaller size and lighter weight: The F300 is more compact, making it easier to carry around but offering less space for modding.
- Default components: The F300 comes with Mayflash’s in-house parts (joystick and buttons), which are of decent quality but may not be preferred by serious players.
- Modding compatibility: The F300 supports modding, but its smaller size may restrict some options. It is still compatible with Sanwa Denshi or Seimitsu parts.
- Internal storage: The F300 has limited internal storage space, which may affect your ability to add extra components or mods.
- No headphone jack: The F300 does not have a built-in headphone jack.
- Price: Generally, the F300 is more affordable than the F500.
- Larger size and heavier weight: The F500 is bigger and heavier, providing more room for modding and a sturdier feel.
- Default components: Like the F300, the F500 comes with Mayflash’s in-house parts, but they are of slightly higher quality.
- Modding compatibility: The F500 has more room for modding and is also compatible with Sanwa Denshi or Seimitsu parts. Additionally, the F500 has a universal mounting plate, which makes it easier to swap out joysticks.
- Internal storage: The F500 offers more internal storage space, allowing for more extensive modding options.
- Headphone jack: The F500 features a built-in headphone jack for private audio gaming.
- Price: The F500 is generally more expensive than the F300 due to its larger size, better components, and additional features.
Modding attributes listed in a table
|Feature||Mayflash F300||Mayflash F500|
|Size & Weight||Smaller & Lighter||Larger & Heavier|
|Default Components||Mayflash In-house Parts||Mayflash In-house Parts (slightly higher quality)|
|Modding Compatibility||Compatible with Sanwa Denshi and Seimitsu parts, limited by the size||Compatible with Sanwa Denshi and Seimitsu parts, more room, universal mounting plate|
|Internal Storage||Limited||More Spacious|
|Headphone Jack||Not available||Available|
|Price||Generally more affordable||Generally more expensive|
Essential Mayflash F300/F500 Mods
Changing the Square to the Octagonal Gate
Both come with a Square Gate installed and an Octagonal Gate in addition to the box. They can easily be changed to an octagonal style.
Here’s an instructional video that shows how easy it is to swap out, and you see the difference in handling the stick.
Upgrading your Mayflash with an octagonal restrictor gate will increase its functionality and efficiency, but it’s not for everyone.
Custom Artwork Mod
Adding custom artwork is one of the easiest ways to personalize your F500. Print your desired design on adhesive paper, carefully cut it out, and apply it to the stick’s surface.
Removing the original artwork may require patience, but the result is worth it.
One of the F500’s advantages is that it comes with plexiglass from the factory. With the F300, you have to install the plexiglass yourself.
Sanwa or Seimitsu Parts Mod
From my experience and most on Reddit, even though both Mayflash models come with quality parts, they’re not as high quality as true Sanwa or Seimitsu parts, which significantly improve their performance, responsiveness, and durability, making them a worthwhile investment.
It’s also fun to customize your stick to make it feel and look “yours.”
Sanwa has bundled parts (joystick and push buttons) available on Amazon; I got the Red ones myself out of nostalgia:
The best prices to find Seimitsu buttons you can find on AliExpress. – Yes, those local shops around you order them from there as well!
LED Light Mod
Adding LED lights to your buttons and joystick can give your F500 a unique and cool appearance.
Kits are available for this mod, with detailed instructions and all the necessary components.
Advanced Mayflash F300/F500 Mods
Custom Firmware and PCB Upgrade
For those who want to take their F500 to the next level, upgrading the firmware and PCB (printed circuit board) is an option. Custom firmware can unlock additional features and improve performance, while a new PCB can enhance compatibility and responsiveness.
Custom Plexiglass Cover
Adding a custom plexiglass cover protects your artwork and gives your F500 a sleek and professional look. This mod requires precise measurements and cutting, so it’s best to seek the help of a professional if you’re unsure about doing it yourself.
Adding a Detachable Cable
A detachable cable mod can make your Mayflash F more portable and easy to store.
This involves replacing the fixed cable with a detachable one, such as a USB-C or micro USB cable.
You’ll need soldering skills and a few tools, but the added convenience is worth the effort.
Maintenance and Troubleshooting Tips
To keep your Mayflash in top shape, it’s essential to clean it regularly. First, wipe the surface with a microfiber cloth to remove dust and debris, and use compressed air to clean the buttons and joystick. Then, if needed, you can disassemble the stick for a more thorough cleaning.
Checking for Loose Connections
Loose connections can cause unresponsive buttons or joystick movements. If you encounter these issues, open your F500 and check for loose wires or connections. Tighten any loose screws and make sure all connections are secure.
Replacing Worn-out Parts
Over time, buttons and joysticks can wear out, affecting your F500’s performance. If you notice any decline in responsiveness, it may be time to replace these parts. Thankfully, the F500’s mod-friendly design makes it easy to swap out parts when needed.
The Mayflashes are versatile and mod-friendly arcade sticks that can be customized to suit your preferences and playstyle.
From essential mods like custom artwork and upgraded parts to advanced mods like custom firmware and detachable cables, there are countless ways to make the F300 and F500 your own.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I choose between Sanwa and Seimitsu parts for my Mayflash F500?
Sanwa parts are known for their smooth and responsive feel, while Seimitsu parts offer more resistance and tactile feedback. It ultimately comes down to personal preference, so try both brands, if possible, to find the best fit for you. We wrote a comprehensive comparison guide on them too.
2. Can I use a different parts brand for my Mayflash F?
Yes, the Mayflashes’ universal mounting plate allows you to use various joystick and button brands. Just make sure the parts are compatible with the Mayflashes’ specifications.
3. Will modding my Mayflash F500 void the warranty?
Modding the F500 may void the warranty, depending on the extent of the modifications. Therefore, checking with Mayflash’s customer support before undertaking any major mods is best:: [email protected]
4. Is it difficult to mod the Mayflash F300/F500?
The Mayflash is intentionally designed to be mod-friendly, making most modifications relatively easy. Some mods, like upgrading parts or adding custom artwork, can be done with minimal technical skills.
However, more advanced mods, such as custom firmware or adding a detachable cable, may require more expertise and tools.
5. How can I ensure my custom artwork correctly fits my Mayflash?
Measure your surface accurately and use a high-resolution image for your design. There are templates available online that can help you create the perfect fit for your custom artwork.
6. Do I need any special tools to mod my Mayflash F500?
Basic tools like a screwdriver, pliers, and a utility knife are often sufficient for simple mods. However, for more advanced mods, you might need additional tools like a soldering iron, wire strippers, or a drill.
7. Can I revert my Mayflash F500 to its original state after modding?
In most cases, you can revert the F500 to its original state by reversing the modifications you made. However, some mods may cause irreversible changes, so it’s essential to consider this before undertaking any major modifications.
8. Can I use custom firmware with the Mayflash F500 on all supported platforms?
Custom firmware compatibility may vary between platforms, and some firmware might not work with specific consoles or devices. Therefore, researching and ensuring the custom firmware you plan to use is compatible with your desired platform is crucial.
9. Can I add additional buttons to my Mayflash F500?
While adding extra buttons is possible, doing so requires quite advanced technical skills, knowledge of electronics, and possibly a custom PCB. Therefore, this mod is not recommended for beginners, as it may significantly increase the project’s complexity.